Sunday, April 09, 2006

Razing Grace

The other day, an older handicapped gentleman shuffled by cane-assisted, his legs barely moving, his breathing laboured, and after he had passed by, the usual “there but for the Grace of God go I”, hosannas and amens were unleashed into the crispness of the morn. Such a common thought, so respectful, so thankful, so humble. Or is it?

I mean, let’s think about this, “there but for the Grace of God go I”. Thus, “that would be me, were it not for the fact that God has blessed me; I am special, God loves me, and my God is benevolent.”

OK, the respect is born of fear, the humility nonexistent, and while the sentiment might be thankful, it is so more in a gloating way than anything else.

By extension then, the old, shuffling, wheezing guy is not on God’s good list, has not been blessed, but has been cursed in fact. Ah, what else could it be, what else could one conclude, in the Manichaean world of religious platitudes?

Interesting concepts, those of benevolence and grace. Amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home